Porcupine Meatballs. Buy Groceries at Amazon & Save. Porcupine meatballs have been a family staple since the Great Depression (and even before that!). They're called porcupine meatballs because the rice pokes out of the meat while they're cooking, resembling the spiky animal.
Heat the olive oil in a large, high-sided oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Porcupine Meatball Bowl – add mashed potatoes to a bowl, swirl on some sauce, add a few meatballs and a drizzle of more sauce. Serve with garlic bread or cheesy bread Serve on a Charcuterie board – Make smaller meatballs and serve on a charcuterie board with a side of sauce, garlic toast, and cheese bread. You can cook Porcupine Meatballs using 14 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Porcupine Meatballs
- You need of Meatballs.
- It’s 1/2 C of Long Grain Rice, uncooked.
- Prepare 1/2 C of Water.
- Prepare 1 of Medium White Onion, chopped.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Sea Salt.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Celery Seed.
- You need 1/8 tsp of Ground Black Pepper.
- Prepare 1 pound of Ground Beef.
- Prepare 2 of Tblsp Cooking Oil.
- It’s of Sauce.
- It’s 15 oz of can Tomato Sauce.
- You need 1 C of water.
- Prepare 2 of Tblsp Light Brown Sugar.
- It’s 2 tsp of Worcestershire Sauce.
Porcupine meatballs are an old-fashioned favorite, developed during the depression to stretch the amount of ground meat. They are so-named because once cooked the rice sticks out of the meatball looking a bit like porcupine quills. At this point, the meatballs should be cooked through and the rice inside the meatballs should be tender. These porcupine meatballs are well seasoned with McCormick spices to bring out amazing flavor.
Porcupine Meatballs step by step
- In a large mixing bowl: ground beef, 1/2 C water, onion, salt celery seed, black pepper, and garlic powder. Combine with hands until blended..
- Heat oil in large frying pan. I love using my cast iron skillet, or chicken fryer..
- Form 1 1/2 inch meatballs and place in heated skillet. As balls brown roll them in the skillet to cook evenly. Drain grease in container safe for hot grease..
- While meatballs are cooking mix sauce in a large mixing bowl: can tomato sauce, 1 cup water, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce..
- Once meatballs have been gently browned and firmed up pour sauce directly over meatballs in the skillet. Heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer gently about one hour. Checking to make sure they heat evenly. Don't cut the time or the rice will be under cooked..
- Serve meatballs with sauce. I like to have mine with mashed potatoes and a vegetable..
The rice in the meatball which give it the porcupine name add such a delicious texture. They simmer in a rich tomato sauce and cook to perfection. These are some of the best little meatballs that you are going to eat. Porcupine Meatballs are similar to a classic meatball recipe, only with rice added to the meat mixture before cooking. When the rice sticks out, these meatballs resemble a little 'porcupine'.
Going Green for Better Health By Eating Superfoods One of the best points of green living is to slow down and revel in life. It is possible to do this, even in this fast-paced world we are living in. We have to return to a lifestyle that prevents disease before we need to treat it. A lot of people have the attitude of destryong the body today, and heal it with a pill tomorrow. It’s impossible to turn around without seeing advertisements about the newest pill to deal with your health problems. There are some pills that help, but only if you make a couple of needed modifications in your life. Unlike the car buying process, you can’t trade in your burnt-out body for a new one. You need to look after your body while you have the ability to do so. Proper nutrition is crucial for your body to run at best levels. Do you eat because food is available and you love the taste or do you opt for nutritious foods? How many times a week do you eat at your local fast food restaurant or get junk food at the local mini mart? As a lot of folks decide to consume foods full of sugar, starch, and fat, more and more illnesses are found. The food products we are consuming are causing obesity, diabetes, and hypertension of epidemic proportions. Many people are finally recognizing the importance of their food choices and are becoming more conscious about their health. Many healthy food are now available at your local health food store or farmer’s market. Most likely, your local grocery store nowadays has an organic food area. This section has what are now recognized as superfoods. “Superfoods” refers to 14 foods that have been discovered to delay or reverse some diseases. You will find that you think more clearly when you start to ingest these superfoods. As you replace the junk food with the superfoods, you will observe a surprising increase in how healthy you feel. Your body will begin to run as it is supposed to when you give it the correct nutrition. When this happens, it will allow your immune system to combat disease more efficiently. You have to have a number of superfoods in your diet daily. Why not add some beans or blueberries? Things that are green, such as broccoli, spinach, and green tea. Whole food grains, and oats, plus a mix of nuts, mainly walnuts. Additionally, you may want to add salmon, turkey, yogurt, soya, tomatoes, oranges, and pumpkins. If you eat the foods in this list, you won’t ever have a weight problem again. Observing a green living meal plan will offer you exactly what you need for good health. You will see that your immune system becomes better and your body will be able to fight against disease. Prepare for a healthy future by modifying your eating habits right now.