Pastelitos (Chicken/Steak). Growing up, I had this dish one way or another. Either from a friend's mother or from the corner store. It wasn't until I was a teenager that I discovered how to make these on my own.
This recipe give you the choice to use a chicken, vegan, beef, pork, or cheese fillings. A great snack to serve when having guests. Chop onions and the green pepper into very small cubes. You can cook Pastelitos (Chicken/Steak) using 12 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Pastelitos (Chicken/Steak)
- You need 1 of Pk. Empanada Discs.
- It’s 1 1/2 Cups of Steak.
- It’s 2 Cups of Chicken.
- You need 1/3 Cup of Peppers.
- You need 1 of Small Onion.
- You need 4 of Mushrooms.
- Prepare 3 Cloves of Garlic.
- It’s 1 1/2 Cups of Cheese.
- You need of Seasoned Salt.
- It’s of Black Pepper.
- It’s 4 of Heaping Tbs. Tomato Sauce.
- It’s of Oil.
In shallow pan, heat two teaspoons of oil, add onions, chicken or meat, and the green peppers, stir. Add the black pepper, coriander, and tomato paste. Let simmer at very low heat until all liquid has evaporated. These Puerto Rican Chicken and Potato Pastelillos are awesome right from the oven and also freeze extremely well.
Pastelitos (Chicken/Steak) step by step
- Prep ingredients as seen below. (I used cooked bbq meats, so they were already seasoned. I seasoned the veggies with seasoned salt and black pepper. I recommend seasoning your meat if it’s not pre-cooked). Divide and sauté veggies in two pans..
- Add meats, respectively and heat through. Finish with 2 Tbs. Tomato Sauce in each pan. Stir and let cool to room temperature. Set up a flat work station and get some flour on it..
- This is the challenging part. Don’t listen to your mind. Your mind will tell you to stuff the hell out of these, but don’t. The maximum you can put in these is about 2 1/2- 3 Tbs. of filling. So, do that and put some cheese on top. Keep everything centered then fold it over as seen. Pinch the edges hard with a fork. Be careful not to pierce the middle. You don’t want them opening up in the hot oil..
- I used a cast iron skillet with an unquantifiable amount of oil. Get the oil hot and begin frying. Just be sure that you can cover at least 3/4 of the pastelitos. If you have a deep fryer, even better. (Yes, you can bake these. And it’s sinful, but yes, you can probably put them in the air fryer). Fry for a few minutes on each side..
- Remove when golden brown. Not too brown, just brown enough. The browning will continue when removed. Also, I found the best way to drain is by placing them on a rack with paper towels underneath. That way, they’re not sitting in a oil-soaked pad of paper towels..
Filled to the brim with savory chicken, comforting potatoes, and gooey cheese, this baked version is a healthier alternative to the fried version – without sacrificing any flavor! Note: The links in this post may be affiliate links. Empanaditas / Pastelitos (Savory Turnovers) Empanaditas and Pastelitos add variety and Dominican flavor to your hors d'oeuvres platter. This recipe give you the choice to use a chicken, vegan, beef, pork, or cheese fillings. The dough of these pastelitos is super easy and if you don't want to knead the dough you can use a stand mixer.
Going Green for Greater Health By Eating Superfoods One of the greatest points of adopting a green lifestyle is to slow down and revel in life. Even with the fast pace of our modern-day world, you can achieve this. We must get back to where it was better to avoid disease in the first place. A lot of people have the attitude of ruining the body today, and heal it with a pill the next day. We’re barraged with adverts for magic pills that are supposed to fix any problem instantly. Of course, you may get better by taking a pill but not if you keep on doing the same old negative habits. As soon as your body wears out, you cannot trade it in for a new one, like your car. You should learn how to look after it the soonest you can. Proper nutrition is crucial for your body to work at top levels. Do you eat because food is available and you enjoy the taste or do you go for foods that are good for you? How often do you fill up on mini mart junk food, or fatty fried foods from the local fast food restaurant? As most people opt to consume things full of sugar, starch, and fat, more and more illnesses are being discovered. There is an epidemic of obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, and several others, probably induced by the foods that are consumed. A lot of people are recognizing the importance of their food choices and are becoming more conscious about their health. A lot of healthy food are now available at your local health food store or farmer’s market. Virtually all grocery stores now have organic foods. This food section has what are today recognized as superfoods. That name has been given to 14 foods that have been proved to slow down certain diseases, or even overturn them. You will observe that you think more clearly when you start to eat these superfoods. As you replace the junk food with the superfoods, you will see a surprising increase in how much better you feel. Your body will start to run as it was meant to when you supply it with the right nutrition. In this case, the immune system can fight off any disease. You have to include a number of superfoods in your diet daily. Why not add some beans or blueberries? Add some green tea or spinach or broccoli. Don’t forget whole grains and nuts. Be sure to consume proteins such as soya, yogurt, salmon, and turkey, plus orange fruits and veggies like oranges, pumpkins, and tomatoes. By eating these superfoods daily, you should not have to worry about any weight problems. You will enjoy great health when you opt to eat the green living way. Your body will become disease free as your immune system improves. Ensure your future health by switching to healthy eating habits now.