Cathead Biscuits. The recipe for these extra-large biscuits comes from Virginia Willis, the author of " Secrets of the Southern Table." A phrase her grandfather once used, the name indicates that it's a biscuit as big as a cat's head. Each one is golden brown and slightly crisp on the outside, with a light, airy interior. No butter or cake flour. too smooth and not craggy.
As to the ingredients, to be honest, all biscuits are pretty basic. Cathead biscuits have been around for years and is an old-fashioned recipe. My mother never made any kind of biscuits except what we called "cathead biscuits" and she made them almost every day. You can have Cathead Biscuits using 8 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Cathead Biscuits
- It’s 1 1/2 cups of AP flour.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of cake flour.
- It’s 1 tbs of baking powder.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of baking soda.
- You need 2 tsp of salt.
- You need 3/4 cup of unsalted butter stick cut into cubes.
- Prepare 1 1/4 cup of buttermilk.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of melted butter.
I have seen her make biscuits twice in one day because every kid in the neighborhood loved her biscuits. According to recipe author Jim Villas, cathead biscuits must be shaped by hand, not cut evenly with a biscuit cutter. The dough will be more crumbly than mealy, the texture of the biscuits should be slightly crunchy on the outside, and they should be baked only in a cast iron skillet. Baking these Fluffy Southern Cat Head Biscuits in a deep skillet serves two purposes.
Cathead Biscuits step by step
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a round cake pan. If doubling the recipe, use a 9×11. For this recipe I used a 9×11..
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the AP flour, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together..
- Scatter the butter cubes throughout the flour mixture..
- Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut the butter in the flour mixture until it resembles a coarse meal with some chunks of butter..
- Make a well and add the buttermilk in the well. Using a fork, gently toss the flour mixture into the buttermilk, scraping the sides of the mixing bowl..
- The dough will be sticky so make sure you coat your hands with some flour before doing the next step..
- Mix the dough with your hands, but not too much. You do not want the dough to be smooth at all..
- Now take chunks of dough and place inside the baking pan just as you see in the picture above..
- Brush each piece of biscuit dough with melter butter and bake about 20 minutes or until top is brown..
- The edges will have a little crunch that adds some good flavor..
- Very thick and moist biscuit and it is good with some honey, preserves, butter, bacon, sausage, eggs or just plain..
Second, the biscuits edges on the outside of the pan turn crispy, while the center edges are soft and feathery. The only reasonable conclusion in this biscuit saga is that a cathead biscuit must be defined by its size. If the biscuit is the size of a cat's head (no joke, that's where the name came from — mystery solved), it's a cathead biscuit. No one likes a biscuit that is still doughy, but neither does anyone like a hard crust either! You can brush melted butter on the tops of the biscuits when they are done, or before you place them in the oven.
Living Greener for Greater Health By Consuming Superfoods One great feature of going green is deciding to take life easier and enjoy yourself along the way. It is possible to accomplish this, even in this busy world we live in. We should take a step back and fight diseases before they develop. A lot of individuals think nothing of mistreating their bodies nowadays and fixing them with a pill later. Wherever you look, you find out about some magic pill that will immediately fix your latest problem. There are certain pills that help, but only if you make a few needed changes in your life. Unlike the car buying process, you can’t trade in your burnt-out body for a new one. You mustn’t delay or it will be too late to look after yourself. Your body cannot function properly if it fails to have proper nutrition. When you eat, do you pay attention to the nutritional value or simply eat whatever tastes good at the time? How often do you eat at your local fast food restaurant or get junk food at the local convenience store? With all of the sugar-laden starchy and fatty food that virtually all people eat, it’s not surprising that new diseases are always being discovered. The things we are eating cause obesity, diabetes, and high blood pressure of epidemic proportions. People are opting to eat better now that they are aware of how crucial food choices are to their health. Nutritious food is now found at local grocery and health food markets. Majority of grocery stores nowadays sell organic foods. This section is filled with what are now known as superfoods. Superfoods refer to 14 specific foods that can retard or reverse certain serious diseases. By ingesting these foods, your body will more fit. Once you replace the junk food with the superfoods, you will note an amazing increase in how healthy you feel. Giving your body the nutrition it needs will help it to run optimally. When this happens, it will help your immune system to ward off disease more efficiently. You need to include some superfoods in your diet each day. To start, beans are very good, and berries, particularly blueberries. Leagy greens, such as broccoli, spinach, and green tea. Throw in whole cereals and nuts. Moreover, you should eat yogurt, soybean, pumpkins, oranges, and tomatoes, along with salmon and turkey. By eating these superfoods on a regular basis, you should eliminate any weight gain problems. Observing a green living meal plan will offer you precisely what you need for good health. Your immune system will be better, and your body can potentially ward off diseases. Prepare for a great future by making positive changes to your eating habits today.