Shiro-an (Shiro Koshian) Smooth Sweetened White Bean Paste. Shiroan (白餡 or 白あん) is the smooth and sweet white paste called an (餡) or anko (餡子) made from lima beans or butter beans, or in Japanese, Shiro Ingen Mame (白いんげん豆). The beans are hulled, simmered till tender, drained, and pureed/passed through before sugar is added to sweeten the paste. Great recipe for Shiro-an (Shiro Koshian) Smooth Sweetened White Bean Paste.
There is an enormous variety in the world of wagashi (traditional Japanese confectionery), but many of the recipes for wonderful shapes, flavours and textures are created from a base of a simple white bean paste known as shiro-an. Shiroan, or sweetened white bean paste, is one of the fundamental components of Japanese confections. In contrast to red-bean anko, shiroan has a more mild, neutral flavor. You can have Shiro-an (Shiro Koshian) Smooth Sweetened White Bean Paste using 3 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Shiro-an (Shiro Koshian) Smooth Sweetened White Bean Paste
- You need 500 grams of Daifuku beans (white kidney beans).
- You need 400 grams of Granulated sugar.
- It’s 1 pinch of Salt.
Because of its relative lack of character, it is often used as a base, mixed with other flavorings—for example matcha or preserved cherry blossoms. 'Shiro-An' is one of the main ' An/Anko ' Sweet Bean Pastes for Japanese Sweets which is made from white beans such as Butter Beans or White Kidney Beans. Put a large cotton cloth on a basket and pour the bean paste. Strain off the water well from the bean paste by sqeezing. The mass in the cloth is 白生餡（しろなまあん）(Shiro Nama-An / white RAW bean paste).
Shiro-an (Shiro Koshian) Smooth Sweetened White Bean Paste instructions
- Soak the beans in about 3 times the amount of water for 1 to 2 nights. Change the water about twice a day..
- When the beans are no longer wrinkled, they have been soaked for long enough..
- Transfer the beans to a pot and add enough water to completely cover. Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower the temperature to medium and simmer for 5 minutes while skimming off the scum..
- Drain into a sieve. Soak the beans in water again so that they don't dry out, and take off the skins. If any of the beans have sprouts, remove them too..
- Once all the beans have been peeled, simmer in plenty of water until they are falling-apart tender. Bring to a boil over high heat first, then simmer over low heat, skimming off scum..
- When they have fallen apart, if there is only a little water in the pan, add more and heat through. That makes the beans easier to pass through a sieve..
- Scoop out a little at a time and pass the beans through a sieve. When everything has been processed, rinse out the pan..
- Take the sieved beans and squeeze them tightly in a clean kitchen towel. Return the squeezed out bean paste to the pot. Add sugar and set the heat to low..
- The sugar will melt and liquify. In about 20 minutes, the texture will change..
- Keep an eye on the pot so that it doesn't burn. Cook until it's a bit looser than you want it to be, and turn off the heat. Add salt just before you turn the heat off and mix..
- Transfer the bean paste to a storage container while it's still hot to prevent it from drying out, and smooth out the surface. It dries out easily..
- I also have a recipe for ichigo daifuku (strawberry mochi dumplings).. https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/168818-easy-microwave-recipe-strawberry-daifuku.
I have never wished to make 'Shiro-an (White Bean Paste) in Japan. But here in Australia, if I want to eat it, I have to make it using substitute beans as the Japanese White Beans are not available here. This method is the easiest way to make 'Shiro-an' or something that looks and tastes. This is fine and all, however, wagashi doesn't stop at red bean paste fillings. Other flavoured paste fillings require the basic white bean paste, shiro-an (白餡), and then be flavoured.
Consume These 14 Superfoods to Go Green for Optimal Health One great feature of green living is choosing to take life easier and enjoy yourself along the way. It is possible to do this, even in this busy world we are in. We need to take a step back and fix diseases before they occur. Alas, most people don’t concern themselves about their health as they believe they can take a pill to fix the problem later on. We’re bombarded with ads for magic pills that are supposed to fix any problem with the snap of a finger. There are certain pills that help, but only if you make some necessary modifications in your life. When your body wears out, you can’t trade it in for a new one, like your car. You shouldn’t delay or it will be too late to take care of your body. Proper nutrition is essential for your body to work at best levels. When you eat, are you concerned about the nutritional value or simply eat whatever tastes good at the time? How often do you consume mini mart junk food, or fatty fried foods from the local fast food restaurant? Ingesting sugar and starches, as well as fatty foods, is it any surprise that new diseases are cropping up all of the time? There is an epidemic of obesity, diabetes, hypertension, and many others, likely triggered by the foods that are ingested. Men and women are becoming increasingly conscious about their health, and eating better, because they are tired of feeling poorly. Many good food are now being sold at your local health food store or farmer’s market. Today, you can find an organic food area in virtually all grocery stores. In this aisle, you’ll see the superfoods. The term superfoods refers to 14 foods that have been proven to slow down or reverse particular illnesses. By eating these foods, your body will become healthier. You will start to feel a lot better when you decide to ingest the superfoods in place of junk food. Your body will begin to work as it is supposed to when you provide it with the proper nutrition. As a result, the immune system is better able to fight off any disease. See to it that you add these superfoods into your daily diet. First off, beans are very good, and berries, especially blueberries. Then, try to add some veggies such as broccoli, spinach, or green tea. Throw in whole cereals and nuts. In addition, you may want to consume salmon, turkey, yogurt, soya bean, tomatoes, oranges, and pumpkins. If you eat these superfoods, you won’t have to worry about gaining weight again. Green living equips you with a great diet plan, with all of the appropriate ingredients for better health. Your immune system will be rebuilt, and your body can potentially ward off diseases. Prepare for a healthy future by modifying your eating habits right now.