Shorty's Red Beans and Rice – Easy style. Great recipe for Shorty's Red Beans and Rice – Easy style. Quicker version of traditional red beans and rice. Classic Cajun dish traditionally served on Mondays.
Serve the red beans in a bowl topped with a scoop of rice and a sprinkle of sliced green onions. Stir in the beans and their liquid, garlic and ham hock. This is the best red beans and rice I have ever had, hands down. You can cook Shorty's Red Beans and Rice – Easy style using 12 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Shorty's Red Beans and Rice – Easy style
- You need 1 of Green Bell Pepper – diced.
- You need 3 (15.5 oz) cans of Red Beans (rinsed and drained). The cans should be labeled Red Beans (not kidney beans)… Sometimes smaller groceries won't carry this kind of canned bean. You can always substitute dry Red beans (prepped) and use broth instead of water.
- It’s 4 cloves of garlic – minced.
- You need 3-4 stalks of celery – diced.
- You need 1 of onion – diced.
- You need 1 lb of Andouille Sausage.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper.
- You need 1 of bay leaf.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of rubbed sage.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of cumin.
- It’s 2 cup of water.
- It’s 2 teaspoons of Hot sauce (Tabasco or similar) or to taste.
So flavorful and easy to make. I've been to New Orleans four times and have never had red beans and rice that compare. Side note, if you can get your hands on it, savannah sausage andouille is fantastic. The only other that I think compares is Registers in the panhandle of FL.
Shorty's Red Beans and Rice – Easy style step by step
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Dice up onion, bell pepper, and celery into bean-sized bits as indicated above.
- Brown andouille sausage over medium/high heat in a separate pan. Should be slightly browned and crispy when done.
- Sauté vegetables in olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic half about 5 minutes after beginning to sauté. Continue to sauté until the onions are translucent but not brown..
- Add water to sautéed vegetables..
- Add rinsed and drained red beans to the vegetables and broth.
- Add cumin, cayenne, and bayleaf to vegetable mixture.
- Bring bean/veggies to a simmer.
- After the beans come to a simmer, add a smidgen of water (2 tbsp) to the pan with the fried andouille. Then pour the browned andouille and the juice into to the beans..
- Place your pot of beans covered into the oven on 350F for 45 minutes. Consider starting the rice while this is in the oven.
- Begin cooking rice of your choosing (white and plain brown are tastey choices).
- Optional method to thicken the beans: 10-15 min before done cooking, scoop 1/2 cup of the broth into a cup. Add 1 tablespoon of corn starch, and dissolve in the liquid. Pour back into the pot and allow to cook remaining time..
- Serve over rice of your choosing.
Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and green bell pepper, and cook until tender. Stir in sausage, and cook until evenly browned. Mix in beans and tomatoes, and continue cooking until heated through. This particular version of red beans and rice comes together quick and easy thanks to using canned beans and andouille sausage.
Living Greener for Good Health By Eating Superfoods Learning to slow down and enjoy your life is one aspect of adopting a green lifestyle that numerous folks appreciate. It is possible to attain this, even in this fast-paced world we are in. We need to get back to where it was a lot better to avoid disease in the first place. Too many individuals have the attitude of ruining the body today, and fix it with a pill tomorrow. Everywhere you look, you hear about some magic pill that will immediately fix your latest problem. Of course, a number of these pills can help but only if you couple them with shift in your lifestyle. When your body stops working right, you can’t obtain a brand new body. You mustn’t wait too long or it will be too late to look after your health. Proper nutrition is essential for your body to run at best levels. When you put food into your mouth, do you pay attention to the nutritional value or just eat anything tastes good at the time? Do you regularly eat junk food and a lot of fried foods from fast food restaurants? With all of the sugar-laden starchy and oily food that virtually all people eat, it’s not surprising that new diseases are always being discovered. An increasing number of individuals are developing diabetes, hypertension, and other diseases because of the foods they ingest. A lot of people are finally recognizing the importance of their food choices and are becoming more concerned about their health. A lot of good food are now available at your local health food store or farmer’s market. Virtually all grocery stores now have organic foods. This food section is filled with what are now acknowledged as superfoods. That name has been given to 14 foods that have been proved to slow down some diseases, or even reverse them. You will discover that you think more clearly when you start to consume these foods. As soon as you trade in the junk food for these super foods, you will be amazed at how good you will soon feel. Giving your body the nutrition it requires will enable it to run optimally. As a result, your immune system will easily fend off maladies. Make sure you integrate these superfoods into your daily eating routine. Why not eat a few beans or blueberries? Eat some green tea or spinach or broccoli. Whole food grains, and oats, plus a mix of nuts, primarily walnuts. Be sure to eat proteins such as soya beans, yogurt, salmon, and turkey, as well as orange fruits and veggies like oranges, pumpkins, and tomatoes. Making these foods a normal part of your diet will eliminate your weight problems. Observing a green living eating plan will give you precisely what you need for good health. Your immune system will become stronger, and your body is likely to be free of disease. Prepare for an awesome future by making positive changes to your eating habits right now.